Tuesday, 9 June 2009

gathering roses..


Pink tulle and roses..like a fairytale.

When I was a tiny thing,I spent my days wearing a pink and rufflie tulle ballet dress.
No outfit would be complete without the pink ribboned and gold speckled net dress over the top and copious amounts of twirling.Even then I knew that everyday life was made much more magical in my fairy outfit! Here's my shy ballerina pose.


And it was this time of year that my father and I would play my favourite game of 'Look at Those!!' As he drove me to and from nursery school, in the days before child seats and seat belts, I would balance precariously in the gap between the seats and our eyes would rove around the front gardens for vivid coloured shrubs, heavy with garden roses and shouting excitedly
' Look at those! Look at those! Look at those!'
as we whizzed through suburban streets,spotting roses.
Twice a day this rose appreciation society would make the journey the highlight of the day and if ever I'm in the car with my dad at this time of year we can't resist pointing out things with the familiar cry.

Yesterday,we were back in the street were I grew up, with old neighbours, most of whom have stayed living there whilst we moved away..
It was for sad reasons that we were back there and it was a time to look back on our memories of our friend and growing up as naughty children next door.

The lady that bought our old house suddenly appeared her arms laden with white roses for us, cut from the bushes my father had planted almost twenty years ago.
It was wonderful to take these flowers home,a gift from past and present.
And as the Shoe and I drove up the street as we headed home,the roses along the way were extravagantly luscious. Look at those I said to him...



So as the poem says- 'Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a flying'

(picture from here and by me or my dad!)

6 comments:

anna said...

Oh it really is like a fairytale. It makes me want to dig out my old ballet photos.

P.S I just bestowed upon you a Lovely Blog Award - I love hearing about your adventures.

Peonies and Polaroids said...

I'm sorry that you had a sad reason to go back, I do hope that it wasn't too sad a day.

What beautiful roses, I can almost smell them from here. They make me want to sneak into our local rose garden after dark with a big pair of scissors.

Oh and what a cutie!

nath said...

oh, what a lovely post. and such beautiful roses.

Gina @ A bit of whimsy! said...

L.O.V.E. this! what an adorable ballerina pose! Stop by anytime. You won an award!

Flora said...

Oh two awards in one post!! Thank you lovely anna and Gina. Am raising my tea cup to you both!!

And just so you know.. I haven't changed a bit! ; )

agirl said...

What a lovely post.

I have a recently developed appreciation for roses (they are nowhere near as beautiful back home), so this is a perfectly timed post for me.

There are a couple of rose bushes in our rented garden that looked so scraggy and lifeless that I was completely taken aback when they burst into beautiful flower the other day. Such a wonderful smell...