Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Bootiful Booty..

One of my greatest loves is waking up early on the so called 'day of rest'and making my way through quiet streets to huge fields filled with folks selling the unwanted detritus of their lives. Never has the statement 'one man's trash is another woman's treasure' been more true when you go to car boot sales. But for me rifling through and working out which stall holds gold is the treasure. As a friend once said to me that if I ever get to heaven, it would be one everlasting car boot sale!
I hit my first one three weeks ago,my excitement at the start of the season bubbling away, wondering what might be out there. And I have been meaning to share pictures of my finds. So this was my haul from Sunday. I went with Frenchie. We are bad influences on each other...

A mirror 1950's/60's? Although looks quite Art Deco- a bargainious 8 quid.
I habe a number of this style of mirror as I plan to hang them in my dark hallway like this



Lovely pottery lamp,with cut outs that cast great shadows(bought at first sale) with other goodies from this week.


duck egg blue tea cup( Frenchie kept one that was green)


Cutest birdy glasses- with the bird names in francais- blue tit is mesange and a woodpecker is a 'pic'! See it's educational too!



A super 8mm cine camera.. Will it work? Hope we can figure it out, it will be a project!



Then we found an amazing box of tablecloths,fabrics,all odds and ends,doilies,placemats random rummaging turned up these...
Stunning antique lace..




Broderie Anglaise collar detail




Chintzy cushion cover and chair back,which could be turned into another cushion cover



Not quite matching but fantastic prints and colours. And then this fabulous bedspread, it feels like silk. Probably for a child's bed as it would be too small for fully grown person..




And another cushion case, hand embroidered, mainly because I love anything with birds and bees on it!


Good eh?! I was very pleased with myself. The Shoe was not so.. 'Where are you going to put all this stuff?' He wailed and looked despondent. Some girls buy shoes, I buy stuff.

Oh, I almost forgot.. just as we were leaving , I spotted this marvellous turquoise vanity case, half hidden under a table. Just the thing for storing all my material. All works out perfectly- as I told the Shoe..

Happiness is a boot sale bargain!

8 comments:

Emmy said...

Oh, envy! We don't have anything like this in the Netherlands. Just the bric a brac I posted about a week or so ago but that can get expensive. No thrift shops, no car boot sales. No crazy cool finds for me. Envy!

Lynne said...

wow! a great haul - which car boot sale was this?

Amber said...

oh my gosh, these are absolutely glorious! i love finding vintage stuff at markets. this makes me want to go digging through crap again. i was THIS CLOSE to buying some old linens on the weekend. then realised i have absolutely no room for them and i don't use the ones i already currently own.

Peonies and Polaroids said...

Oh my! What a haul. I adore car boot sales but I'm on a 'stuff' hiatus. My boy hates stuff, we have too much stuff, I can't afford stuff but oh how I love love love stuff.

Flora said...

Ta girls.. grinning with happiness!
Emmy, you'll have to come over to get your fix,although the bric a brac did look very tempting
Amber, sometimes it is like digging through crap,honestly other people's tast is sometimes terrifying!
It was a boot sale in Crystal Palace,Lynne it's not always so good- I just struck lucky.

I have the same battle Peony! Hubs has the patience of a saint! But it's just that the stuff is so beeyootiful...

nath said...

Well, yes, of course, you're speaking my language here. I try to implement a one in one out policy here, (self imposed) but it doesn't always go to plan...

I returned home today with a small armful of things found at a local coffee morning...

h for hellebores said...

Wow, what an amazing haul. We just moved house and are really short of storage space at the moment so I've had to put my car boot addiction on hold for a while, but this makes me want to get out there again for a good old Sunday morning rummage.

Flora said...

Nath,I love you boot sale hauls.. am always green with envy! And H, don't mention that... I could fill a warehouse with car booty if I'm not careful. No room for hubby or other practical things at all! ;)