Thursday, 29 January 2009

Sad,sad day..

Oh dear,where to start? perhaps with this beautiful song-



So the guitar of John Martyn has been set down to rest and the world is without doubt a greyer place.But the genius of his songs will stay forever with us and the magic of his plaintive voice,mournful, full of sweet rawness and an ache that gets right through to your soul will continue to colour my days. His music and his words have had a huge impact on my life, even as I write the letters are blurring on the screen as I listen to this song.
Without doubt he has been with me through dark days and bright days. I introduced my brother to his songs and he devoured them as I knew he would,so John is always associated with him and the absence of him.
In our wedding ceremony we had May you Never performed by our hugely talented guitarist. He learned it especially for us and hearing the words and the melody drift through the breezy garden whilst holding fast the hand of my new husband,well, it was a moment I will never forget. We wanted to hear this song as it encapsulated many things we felt for each other and also to feel as though my brother's presence was there too, as if he was in the back row listening and nodding his head.It seemed full of blessings from him.
I love this live version, from probably a year after we saw him.




The Shoe and I saw him play live very soon after we first met,I had bought the tickets before I had even met future husband and turned out the gig was on his birthday-perfect.
He hadn't heard that much of John's music so I bought him a copy of Solid Air and he was hooked. The gig was one of the best we have been to together, he came on like a huge pagan druid with an enormous stick that towered over him as he staggered to his seat. The songs were superb and in between his dry wit contrasted with the melancholic songs. I am so grateful that we had a chance to see him.
There are just too many beautiful songs to post or link to, Bless the Weather, Over the Hill, Solid Air,Sunshine's better. Danny Baker,radio god,devoted his entire two hour show to his songs. It was a wonderful tribute.

The lyrics from this song say it all.

Couldn't Love You More

If you kissed the sun right out of the sky for me
If you told me all the lies I might deserve
If you lay all night in the rain for me
Well, I couldn't love you more
Just couldn't love you more
I couldn't love you more.

If you loved me 'til my eyes got no more shine for you
If you walked beside me all the long way home
If you wasted all of your time on me
Well, I couldn't love you more
Just couldn't love you more
I couldn't love you more
Just couldn't love you more.

If you gave me all the things I'd never ask of you
If you showed me all the ways you have to cry
If you lay all night in the rain for me
I couldn't love you more
Just couldn't love you more
Just couldn't love you more



Thanks for everything x

No comments: