Thursday, 15 January 2009

Oh Mandy...

Thrilling stuff. My musical buddy booked tickets for us to go and worship at the shrine of a certain 'Broadway Legend'....
Mr Mandy Patinkin! Oo what a treat. Just him and a piano for two hours with no interval.And lots and lots of show songs.
I first witnessed the magic of Mandy in the fantastical film 'The Princess Bride'.The man uttered the immortal lines 'My name is Inigo Monteya.You killed my father.Prepare to die' over and over as he chased the evil Duke around the castle. But then it wasn't till many years later, I can remember it very clearly,that I heard him sing what is still one of my favourite songs. I was driving through night time London and heard this song on the radio and it was so moving and full of intensity.
I used to sing it to The Shoe but couldn't remember the words properly so would make up my own 'something bout a hat' or 'I'm singing bout a hat'. And he would mimic me and make me laugh.

It's taken from Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George, his musical about the artist George Seurat and this painting. The song describes the artist's obsession with creating and that feeling of being removed from reality whilst all that surrounds you is your art-
Finishing the hat,
How you have to finish the hat.
How you watch the rest of the world
From a window
While you finish the hat.


The evening was fab. Musical buddy warned me there had been mixed reviews but for us two obsessives, it was glorious. We giggled lots at various things namely the rather batty biddy wearing a marvellously dark brown wig who exclaimed loudly'Daddy used to sing this' as Mandy struck up with 'Buddy can you spare a dime?' and then proceeded to pass round cherries to her companion! We also did lots of silent singing along and in- our-seats jazz hands. It was that kind of show.
He sang lots of Sondheim, some Judy Garland numbers and the most beautiful song from Les Miserables I'd forgotten what a great song it was, he dedicated 'Bring him home' as a prayer for peace in the Middle East and I think a tear crept down his cheek.
(excuse that version which is bit cheesy,not a patch on mandy)

I'm going to go see him again this weekend.

No comments: